The holidays can be an especially difficult or emotional time, particularly for those who live away from home. You can help your residents feel more at home and enjoy the holiday season by celebrating traditions that are commonly practiced this time of year.
A popular holiday tradition is gift giving. Below is a collection of gift ideas to give to your residents, holiday gift activities, and other suggestions to bring out the holiday spirit.
Gifts for Residents
- Activity books for visiting grandchildren. Residents will have something new and exciting to share with their grandchildren next time they visit!
- Electronic photo frame. These are wonderful because several images can be imported and cycle through, allowing your residents to keep their loved ones close and constantly reminding them of everyone that loves them.
- Calendar. A calendar can be customized and personalized and is a great opportunity for a resident to mark down the exciting activities, outings, visits and events that they have coming up.
- Bathrobe and slippers. Who doesn’t love feeling cozy and staying warm in the winter? A bathrobe and slippers can help the resident relax and feel at home.
- Greeting cards and stamps. Whenever a resident is missing a loved one, they will have the ability and opportunity to write a personalized message to them, always staying in close contact.
Activities in the Community
- Create a photo album or scrapbook. Together, you can collect images from magazines or real photographs and allow each resident to create their own album to reflect upon and enjoy.
- Design your own greeting card. Make a night out of it! Everyone can draw, stamp, cut and paste, and create their own greeting cards to send a holiday message to their loved ones.
- Puzzles. Completing puzzles is a lifelong activity, entertaining residents, stimulating their minds, and forging relationships within the community.
Make the most of this holiday season for yourself, your staff and your residents with these simple yet meaningful and valuable gift and community activity ideas.
Happy holidays from everyone at Bloom Marketing!